Thursday, April 15, 2010

Making a Grand Exit

So many weddings these days don't have a "grand exit." You know, when the bride and groom leave the reception to a crowd of people waving sparklers, blowing bubbles, throwing confetti (eco-friendly of course), bird seed or, in the old days, rice.

My sister's wedding last summer had an exit from the church where we blew bubbles at them...it was cute and the photos turned out adorable. Bridesmaid Anna's wedding a few years back had a grand exit...they left the Bell House to 100 Years by Five for Fighting and a crowd of people saying goodbye to them from the porch. It was a really touching moment.

But other than those two occurrences, I cannot recall another grand exit at a wedding I have attended. In fact, a lot of weddings I have been to see the bride and groom through the end of the reception...even after the lights flash back on and the DJ pulls the plug. I have even attended weddings where the bride and groom attend after-parties and hit the bar scene after the reception comes to a close.

So not feeling that. If I had it my way, Jacob and I would leave the reception a good 45 minutes before the party ends (we will see if I can talk him into this...). AND we would have a grand exit from the golf club. In fact, I am hoping to have guests out on the patio and down the front stairwell waving sparklers at us as we hop into our getaway car. If possible, I also plan to ask the DJ to play a specific song as we leave...Going up the Country by Canned Heat. LOVE that song and the lyrics are pretty fitting too!

I am picturing something like this:




What do you think about this idea for our grand exit?

No comments:

Post a Comment