Friday, February 18, 2011

Secrets of a 60-year-old house

Lately, I have been spending a healthy amount of time in our third bedroom--transforming it into my very own workspace. Kind of like (Dwight's) Shrute Space. Well--kind of. Not so officious.

Anyway, I have always wanted my own space like this where all of my random hobbies, knick knacks and interests could converge into a single space. An organized mish mash of sorts.

A dear friend of mine (Amy!) had the first embodiment of such a room--her space is tuly a mecca. The first time I saw it, I had to spend a good minute or two standing in the doorway simply taking it all in. LOVE!

My room is far from done (once it is, I will do a post on it and share some of the highlights...like my ribbon rack and wrapping paper stand), but in the mean time, I wanted to share "my favorite feature" of the room: the magnetic closet doors.


Yes, you read that right...magnetic! These originals are a tad unsightly and anything but useful (why house builders back in the 1950s ever thought sliding closet doors were ingenius, I will never understand). I initially wanted to rip them off and replace them with a fun patterned curtain from IKEA. But once I realized their worth (magnetism!), I just couldn't do it.

At the moment, the closet door is housing my 2010 tax paperwork, some coupons and a wall calendar. Not to mention some pretty snazzy magnets from my once-awesome magnet collection. Who knows what it will hold next?!

ALSO: Upon further investigation into the only other sliding closet doors in the house (front hallway), I have learned that they too are magnetic! What the what?! So exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment