Monday, February 28, 2011

Well, I did it: yesterday was my final day at Kroger

This has been a long time coming--when I started my first (and current) full time job in the summer of 2007, I figured I would quit Kroger by the end of the year. But 2007 came and went.
Along the way, I set other "quit dates" in my mind and none ever panned out. There always seemed to be a reason to hold onto the job (and the steady flow of money). But, now that the wedding is over (and paid for), I really could not justify working there every weekend.

Sure, the money is nice and there will always be a want (if not a need) of a little extra cash, but it got to the point where I determined that my time is significantly more important than the paycheck I was bringing in. Not only that, but working a grand total of eight hours each weekend at the second job does not sound strenuous, was taking a toll. (How? Less time with my new husband, working seven days a week, never being able to sleep in, etc...)

Regardless, I took the plunge and it is for serious this time. In fact, I am calling the union today to withdraw.

When I started working there on August 5, 2001 as a 16-year-old, I never expected to be there beyond high school. I went to Kroger after a little more than a year at McDonalds (my first job). I started as a cashier and, over time, assumed different roles and responsibilities throughout the store--including spots in floral, produce, payroll and as office assistant.

Despite the frequent changes in scenery, the largest portion of my time at Kroger took place on the front end. In addition to cashier, I had my fair share of cart duty as a bagger, ran u-scan, played the role of supervisor and worked in Customer Care. I even had the weekly task of closing the store (Sunday was my designated night).

The whole thing feels surreal to me...even as I drove away from the store last night, I looked back in my rearview mirror, and it still did not click. And maybe it never will. I guess after working some place for almost a decade, it becomes a part of you in some strange way. I made a lot of good friends through that place. I met my husband there! I have so many memories (all over the scale) at that store. And, in a way, I grew up there. For a long time, it was the only connection I had to my "parents' pre-divorce" life. Maybe that's why I stayed for so long. 

I will never forget what that place has meant to me--nor the numerous people who walked in and out of my life there. This week, I am planning on a special blog post in honor of "#708" or "ol trusty" as others have called it in the past. Some may laugh, but I feel this moment deserves it!

Have a fantastic Monday.  

No comments:

Post a Comment