Wednesday, January 20, 2010

DIYing my way to the alter

I love making things. Have ever since I was a little girl. Pretty sure that comes from my Mom who has always been dubbed as crafty. Seriously. You could give the woman a sock, glitter and a mason jar and she could turn out something really cool. (A female version of MacGyver, my mom!)

Since I like that sort of thing, and to add extra flair to our wedding, I am working through an extensive list of DIY projects that I created. Over the MLK day weekend, I got a few projects finished (wreaths for the church doors, decor for the reception site front door, etc.), a few projects started (large cardstock signs that say "Thank" and "You" for a special picture, etc.) and even had time to contemplate more.

For instance: I really like the idea of using bouquet charms in the bridesmaids' bouquets (and mine of course!). However, I was having a hard time coming up with how this would be feasible (without spending money on kits I came across online). After pondering on this for a few days, I may have come across a way that could potentially work:

I will use flat bottom marbles, pin backs and some glue...



...to create custom, one-of-a-kind bouquet charms for the wedding day bouquets.

My plan is to cut tiny round images, glue them to heavy white card stock and glue the flat sided marble to the front of the image. I have seen similar projects just like this for the creation of magnets, push pins, etc. Instead of affixing the marble to a magnet or push pin, I will glue the marble to a pin back, as long as I can find pin backs in the appropriate size.

If not, I will have to play with other ideas, like maybe two marbles per pin, etc. Instead of being a true bouquet charm (they typically hang by a ribbon from the bouquet), these will have the ability to clip to the ribbon holding the bouquet together. And after the wedding, long after the bouquets wilt, the charms will be able to clip to another surface!

Not sure that this project will work, but I want to at least try it!

What images will I use for these you ask? I think I would make each one different to represent my friendship with each girl. For instance, with Erin, I could use a tiny image of a Skyline Cheese Coney (because we LOVE Skyline Chili!). This could be fun. So many things could work! As for my bouquet, I may see if there is a way to shrink an image from my Mom's parents' wedding to use for my charm.

I plan to gather the supplies for a first attempt this weekend. Will definitely keep you posted on how they turn out!

No comments:

Post a Comment