Friday, March 12, 2010

DIY Project: Reception Site Program

Have you ever been to a wedding and had no idea what was going on?

Most weddings you attend, you just go with the flow of what is going on (aka you listen to the DJ or emcee for announcements). And that is ok if the entire reception is taking place in a single room (like at a hotel). However, if your wedding reception site is broken up, or your DJ does not announce events, it is very easy for guests to get lost in the flow.

For this reason, and not to mention the fact that Father of the Bride always made me nervous!, I am leaning toward a reception program. Now I know what you might be thinking...she is just too type A, yada, yada, yada... But this is something, I think, can be kind of fun (and enlightening).

When I say "program" I mean a large piece of sturdy cardstock on an easel, with a program printed on it. More of a timeline format I suppose. (Though I realize the times I print will not happen as planned...I have come to grips with this!)

This flow chart will be something guests can take a look at and have an idea for what is going on throughout the course of the evening. That way, people can know when to watch the first dance or grab a slice of cake once it's cut.

Also, with all of the fun touches I am working on for the wedding, it will be a nice way to highlight them so guests can take a look.

Of course, this program will be in a fun font to match the rest of the stationary items I am creating (invitation, RSVP card, program, other reception signage, etc.).

I found a cute table easel at IKEA that I am considering for this project. And I have already been playing with language for this...

A snippet of my program:

7 p.m.
While the wedding party wraps up a few photos, enjoy a drink at the bar or explore the beautiful property of the Keene Run Golf Club. Appetizers will be passed inside the clubhouse at this time.

A drink station is set up outside on the patio, complete with soda, sweet tea and water. Feel free to help yourself throughout the evening.

What do you think about this project?

3 comments:

  1. Kristen, I think any detail is not too small or insignificant. You are doing a great job and anything "different" like a reception program would be a detail no one else has done:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like the idea, but the sample you put on here seems a bit too long, haha, esp if people have been drinking, it will take longer for them to read, you might have a large crowd around the program. LOVE the idea, but maybe shorten it, and i LOVE the wording! all around GREAT idea!!! LOVE YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha Anna, it will not be anywhere near the bar. It will be more in an entrance area so people can take a look when they come in. Thanks for your insight though. :)

    And Debbie! Thanks! I am happy to have you reading the blog!! Thanks for helping my mum with it.

    ReplyDelete